Thursday, May 20, 2010

You Can't Worship The Lord And A Donut At The Same Time!

Over three years ago, I was on vacation with my family.  After swimming in the hotel pool, we all went back to the room to get ready for bed and to settle in for the night.  The kids wanted to watch the show, "That's So Raven."  I was so excited to see Candace Cameron (from Full House) playing a teacher on the show. (I loved Full House as a child!) I could not believe how THIN and HEALTHY Candace looked...she was always known as the cute, chubby teen when she was younger. So, with my exhausted husband fast asleep next to me and the kids watching t.v., I jumped on our laptop to Google Candace. As it turns out, I found she was married with three children and living (at the time) in Florida. She also had an email address on her website. I wrote her an email, never expecting a response, about her weight/ diet and exercise. Much to my surprise, she responded in a day. What she shared with me changed my thinking...and has haunted me for years. I thought I would share some of the emails that were sent!

Her first reply:

"My secret to staying slim and healthy is (drum roll please!)…eating well and staying active."

"OK, I know that was a pretty simple answer, but it’s the truth. Over years of being on a weight roller coaster, I finally got to the point where I wanted to stay fit and feel good ALL the time. I always feel healthier and prettier when my weight is lower, and of course my clothes fit better. I had to change my eating habits and lifestyle once and for all. Luckily, my husband was 100% on board and was probably the biggest encourager to our family in this area. So, eating habits changed not only for me, but for my children and my husband."


"As I’ve said here before, consult your doctor before choosing any diet or fitness routine, then consider what’s best. For me, the key has been eating fresh, healthy foods and not over eating. I’d prefer to eat more of the yummy foods I enjoy in smaller quantities, rather than eating large portions of ONLY healthy foods that I don’t really enjoy. For me, eating is about the taste and not the quantity. A lot of woman I know are just the opposite, where quantity is important, rather than quality. You have to figure out what is important to you and get into a new way of eating from there."


"Include your whole family. If you just try to diet on your own, it’s not going to last for very long. If you change your whole family’s eating habits and fitness/sport routine, you’ll have a better chance at sticking to it."


"I take pilates about 3 times a week as well as play tennis, and I walk about 1 1/2 miles every day (around my neighborhood). The kids either walk with me or ride their bikes. This turns into family time not only to share and laugh, but also exercise. (When the kids whine about walking the circle… telling them “no desert” usually quiets them up pretty fast.) And FYI… desert is usually fresh fruit. They have ice cream or something sugary sweet once or twice a week. (And we keep that to a small portion). Trust me, this makes the once a month trip to Cold Stones–for whatever they want–all the better!"


"Ultimately, I had to give my “food issues” over to God. There are bad habits I’m prone to repeating, but they never make me feel good for long. That’s when I ask myself, “Is food or God more important to me?” This usually stops my bad habits as well."


"I hope this helps and encourages you."



I then wrote her back about "giving up her food issues to God"....


"By “food issues” I meant some unhealthy eating habits I’d acquired in the past. For me, the only way to get past my abuse with food was getting serious about it with God. I needed to constantly pray that I’d stay away from unhealthy alternatives, and that I’d eat right, and exercise instead."


"This sin was one that I loved and didn’t want to give up. I was scared. I constantly wrestled with it. And I knew it was keeping me from a closer relationship with God, and that I had to give it over to Him."


"I said to Him, “I can’t do this on my own. I’m willing to take a step in faith to stop doing it the wrong way, knowing with all my heart that You will provide me the willpower to say ‘NO’ or give me a way out”."


"That was the last time I was ever going to pray it. I didn’t want that struggle for the rest of my life. And while my view of food is not problem for me anymore, it’s an area I always have to keep close at heart, and pray about. I know the enemy is lurking, waiting at the door to creep in."


"I think going on a diet like Weight Watchers is GREAT to learn portion control and to retrain yourself to eat properly. Food is a hard battle for most American’s since we have such an abundance and it’s so readily available to us. Stick to a plan and keep God close by your side."

I really love her reply.  It makes so much sense!  How many times have I allowed food to get in the way with my relationship with God?  How many times have I skipped church because I looked fat and had nothing to wear?  I was blessed by God with wonderful friends and family, but have (at times) chosen to push them away or not be with them because of my weight. 

Up until she wrote back, it never occurred to me that I was worshiping food. That I WAS allowing food to get in the way with my relationship with God.  I had never thought of it as a false idol...but it can be!  I am mad at myself for allowing food to take first place.  I am done.  NOTHING sneaks in and gets in MY way of MY LORD!  I am sorry that I sinned...that I did not change my ways... right away.  But, I am human.  Enough is enough.  I am going to pray that God comes into my heart as I turn away from my false idol.  Lord be with me.

I choose God.

*****************************

Also, my hometown...


Well, I am not sure how to "show" you this one...Hmmm...
I HAVE to stay Anonymous!
Okay...I live about 7 hours from N.Y.C. ;)
http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/

...I am hungry.

******




2 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you for choosing to share such a open and honest chat, that most would not because the almighty god is involved. I look forward to reading your blog. Just as your losing weight, I losing weight too.

    Cheers, Viola

    www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! I added a Facebook page so everyone can add photos of their slimming self! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete